Frequently Asked Questions
1. System Requirements for Your PCWhat kind of computer can view this web site?
The jibtv online distribution service is optimized for viewing with the following specifications. It may not be correctly displayed by other non compatible computers and software.
- PC: Windows, Mac
- For Windows User: Latest version of Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox
- For Mac Users: Latest version of Safari, Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox
- Smartphones, tablets: iOS, Android (Some OS versions may not be supported.)
2. What Is The NHK World/jibtv Channel?What is the NHK World/jibtv channel?
NHK World/jibtv is a channel with round-the-clock English-language TV programming (aimed mainly at non-Japanese people) that informs the world about Japan and gives the benefits of a unique perspective on Asia. Its offerings are a combination of programs made by NHK World and programs made by jibtv.
3. What Are The Services of NHK World/jibtv?What does the NHK World/jibtv channel offer?
The NHK World/jibtv channel carries news programs produced by NHK and internationally relevant non-news programs produced by jibtv.
The channel is available worldwide via satellite, terrestrial, cable, and IPTV services and on the Internet.
Yes, in addition to news programs we offer a variety of business, culture, and lifestyle programs.
- Images of international sporting events are subject to strict conditions of use. The broadcast rights are owned by the relevant sporting federations and are purchased by broadcasters. We do our best to secure broadcast rights, but various restrictions typically mean that use of the images is limited to broadcasts inside Japan.
- When pre-recorded programs contain images that we cannot broadcast outside Japan, we typically remove the images at the editing stage. However, we broadcast most news live. When live news contains images that we are not allowed to broadcast outside Japan, we have to cover the images with still pictures.
We broadcast in cycles around the clock to enable people around the world to watch the programs at local times that are convenient for them. Consequently, we broadcast each program four times. A notable exception is news, which is typically live.
4. How Can I Receive The NHK World TV/jibtv Channel?How can I receive the NHK World TV/jibtv channel?
There are several ways to receive the NHK World/jibtv channel:C-band (using a digital tuner and a parabolic antenna with a diameter of 2.5 to 6 meters);
a Ku-band satellite receiver;
cable, IPTV, and digital terrestrial stations that carry NHK World/jibtv.
5. Where Can I Access NHK World TV/jibtv?
Due to restriction on broadcasting rights, you can’t watch the live streaming service on NHK WORLD JAPAN online. It is only available on the JIB’s website.
6. Other QuestionsWhy is there advertising on the jibtv website?
Japan International Broadcasting Inc., which operates the jibtv website, places advertisements from program sponsors on the website as part of a strategy for ensuring sound finances.
Japan International Broadcasting Inc. includes advertisements from sponsors in the programs that it produces for the channel.
No, English-language programs carried on the NHK World/jibtv channel are not available on DVD.
No, copyrights prevent us from offering video and DVD recordings.